Why Study in Canada
Canada, a developed country, is in North America bordering with USA. It offers higher education which is internationally recognized and globally respected for its quality with affordable tuition fees. It is a safe, affordable and attractive destination for many Nepalese students. Statistically, more than 130,000 top international students and researchers choose to study in Canada each year who feel safe, secure and welcomed.
Education System in Canada
The education system in Canada includes both publicly-funded and private schools, including: community colleges/ technical institutes, career colleges, language schools, secondary schools, summer camps, universities and university colleges.
In general, Canadian children attend kindergarten for one or two years at the age of four or five on a voluntary basis. All children begin Grade One at about six years of age. The school year normally runs from September through the following June but in some instances, January intake dates are possible. Secondary schools go up to Grades 11 or 12, depending on the province. From there, students may attend university, college or Cégep studies.
Canada ranked 3rd best country in the world for education in 2019 as per US News & World Report. It has 98 universities, 3 of them rank in the top 50, 7 in the top 200 and Canada’s top ranked University; University of Toronto is ranked 25th in the world as per QS world ranking. Canada is ranked in the top 5 nations that helps in the provision of a stronger higher educational system.
Education is a provincial responsibility under the Canadian constitution, which means there are significant differences between the education systems of the different provinces. However, education is important to Canadians, and standards across the country are uniformly high.
Benefits of Studying in Canada
- Quality and internationally recognized degrees
- A wide range of study options available
- Affordable education & living cost
- Safe, multicultural and welcoming country
- Post Study Work Visa facilities for students
Cost of study
Canada has affordable education fees in comparison to other developed countries such as Australia, and New Zealand. And for an international student, the cost of studying in Canada and living expenses vary between $20,000 and $30,000, in Canadian dollars per year. However, cost of studying in Canada can change a lot depending on the enrolled program, institution, city and the standards of living expenses as costs vary across programs and provinces.
Generally, students are required to show evidence of $10,000 for 12 months living expenses for a student for Canadian High Commission New Delhi. Additional $4,000 will be required for spouse and another $3,000 for each dependent. This amount includes accommodation, food, transportation, books, and clothing.
All international students, regardless of which country they study in, are required to possess a health insurance cover. Medical coverage for international students in Canada varies from one city to another.
The two significant divisions of medical health cover in Canada are Provincial Health Care & Private Health Insurance.
- The provincial medical health care system comprises essential preventive and emergency services. All international students studying in Canada with a study visa, are eligible for availing this provincial health care card to access the services when required.
- International students can also opt for private health insurance which has many more advantages than provincial health care. The services included in the Private health insurance are private hospital rooms, ambulance services, dental costs, and prescription drugs. The average amount of private health insurance in Canada ranges between 600 and 1000 CA$.
Canada Student Visa
It is compulsory for all foreign students to obtain a student authority and visa before migrating to study in Canada. A student must also meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations under normal circumstances. Visa decision turnaround timeframe is minimum of 4 to 6 weeks. Visa Application Process for Canada is as below:
Step 1: Apply for Admission in College/University
Step 2: Pay Tuition Fee
Step 3: Purchase of GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate)
Step 4: Undertake Medicals from registered panel doctors
Step 5: Visa Lodgment (paper, and online both option available)
Step 6: Visa Decision
Step 7: Fly to Canada!
Student visa applicant needs to fulfill the following criteria to be eligible for a student permit visa:
- Student has accepted by a designated learning institute (DLI).
- Student has to prove that you have adequate funds to pay your tuition fee and living expenses.
- Student has to prove that you have a clean background and no criminal record. The aspirants need to produce a police certificate to prove this.
- Student has to do a health checkup and produce a medical certificate that certifies that you are in good health.
Spouses can accompany full-time students on a dependent visa. Dependent only need to show that adequate funds are available for their support. Spouses can also work full time if his/her stay is for a year or more.
In some cases, dependent may apply for an open work permit if you will be accompanying your spouse or common-law partner to Canada. With an open work permit, you may find and accept any job when you get to Canada. You do not need a job offer or a positive labor market impact assessment to apply for your work permit.
Here is how Kangaroo Education Foundation can help you:
- We run IELTS/PTE preparation classes with nominal fees before you even decided to study in Canada via our centrally located Offices throughout Nepal
- We provide free Counseling session from qualified counselor (Telephonic/In-person) to help you choose a right education provider and relevant course to study in Canada.
- We help you apply to the chosen college and we take the responsibility of doing all the hard work of tracking the applications by staying in touch with the institution, on your behalf.
- We assist you in paying your fees via Nepalese banks and also in the purchase of GIC.
- We also help to lodge your visa file (generally online) and keep you updated on the progress of your application
- Along with support service such as ticketing, shopping advice, airport pick up for visa grantee students; we run pre-departure session and advice important things to consider before leaving Nepal to study in Canada!!